Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Cashew Brittle - Hey, it has redeeming qualities!

I love cashews.  Who doesn't?  Well, I'm sure someone out there doesn't - probably the same person that doesn't like watermelon.  

Anyway - many moons ago when I worked at a county park, someone brought in Amish Cashew Brittle.  I capitalize the name because it deserves a little respect!  It is so simple, but so delectable!  It melts in your mouth and is buttery and crunchy and well, hey, it's Amish, of course it's going to be good.  I don't know how they know how to bake so well.  Just another one of life's mysteries.  

The neat thing about this story is that there exists a place in this Amish land, apparently near Cashton, WI, that is akin to a general store.  It is referred to the non-amish as "The Amish Walmart".  Now,  I don't know if they appreciate that sentiment - I'm sure it's not meant with any hidden meanings - but so it is called and probably forever more will be.  

Perhaps the Amish Five and Dime or the Amish Woolworth's would have been a better choice?

Fast forward out many moons, and one day I am in the Mousehouse Cheesehaus in Windsor.  All kinds of neat cheeses, fudge, souvenirs, and microbrews that have fun and interesting names like, "Kiss the Lips", and "Bitter Woman".  Which you can find the story of here.  Off into the distance there is a blinding light beckoning me come...come...come to me.  I am drawn to a little shelf, kind of hidden from view, kind of like someone set up a "Stacey" shelf just for me.  There they were.  Lots of little clear plastic boxes filled with all that Amish love and buttery cashew brittle naughtiness.  I was weak.  I bought it.  I ate it.  All!

Okay...I embellished a little for dramatic effect.  But this stuff is that good. It's worth a little drama.  Here's the thing.  This stuff is not only great but a little box is also really expensive.  Which is probably a good thing.  I often need something to intervene to save me from myself.

Don't we all?

But it occurred to me...I don't want to have pay out the nose for a sweet little sin like that.  It felt like a challenge to me.  I must go home.  I must find a really close recipe and indulge my addiction.  I could channel my inner Amish and whip something up...right?

So...here we go.  You almost need more tools for this stuff as you do ingredients.  You'll find the recipe below.  I know, candy-making is intimidating.  I've been there.  You'll make mistakes (Lord knows I had to throw my share of money away).  As Julia says...never apologize!




 Besides the cashews, you'll need some butter, corn syrup, baking soda, sugar, water.


 You'll also want to consider buying a silpat mat.  It is indispensable for so many things.  Hit your local Bed, Bath, and Beyond, pull out one of the hundred coupons you've been saving and get one - and buy one for a friend - just use 2 coupons.

Now, put on a little Etta James..."Trust in Me" and launch your candy-making debut.  No fear!


 In a saucepot, combine butter, sugar, water and corn syrup.  Bring it to a boil.
 It has to get happy to pass any happy along to you!





While you're at Bed Bath and Beyond, save another coupon for a decent candy thermometer.  It's holiday time...you're gonna need it anyway, right?



Patience, young padawan!  This takes a little time.  But use your Jedi senses to know when to pull it!  It's like the gas tank, after half a tank it's all downhill and fast!  So watch carefully and don't let it burn.

Let it bubble, bubble to its happy stage, 300 degrees.  Pull it off the heat and add the baking soda.  It's going to get even happier, so be careful.  It'll bubble up.

Here's where I changed the recipe.  It asked me to add my cashews after the baking soda.  Sounds good, but the moment that stuff starts cooling, you can hardly stir it.  It's like a 10-year old, it just can't wait to grow up and be a big brittle!  So, my adjustment was to sprinkle my cashews on the silpat mat and then pour the caramel over it.  The more packed your cashews, I find, the easier it is to eat.  Meaning...it won't be so fast to pull out the dentistry you just had!

Pour out the caramel onto the cashews and and allow it to cool and harden completely.  Then just break it and pat yourself on the back.  No wait...eat it and then pat yourself on the back.





OOOH....makes me want to make it again.  Right now.   Anyone would cover you in kisses for making this for them. 

If you need to be selfish, I understand.  To alleviate your guilt for eating it all and not sharing, check out this "healthy benefits of cashews" here.

If you need me to save you from yourself, you can read the dangers of high cholesterol here.

ENJOY!


Cashew Brittle

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1 stick unsalted butter
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
12 ounces cashews

Sprinkle cashews all over a silpat mat placed in a jellyroll pan with a rimmed edge.

In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, water, butter and corn syrup and bring to a boil. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the caramel is light brown and registers 300° on a candy thermometer, 10 minutes.  

Remove from the heat and carefully stir in the baking soda. Careful, the mixture will bubble.

Immediately pour the brittle all over the cashews. WORK FAST!  Using the back of a large spoon (oil it lightly if it sticks), spread the brittle into a thin, even layer.  It will begin to cool quickly!!

 Let cool completely, about 30 minutes. Break the brittle into large shards.

The brittle can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month.  
Tip:  Try this with other nuts, such as almonds, pistachios.








No comments:

Post a Comment