Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Blueberry Nirvana

I looked up the definition of the word "nirvana" today and here's what it said:

"A transcendent state in which there is neither suffering, desire, nor sense of self...."

It sort of ended after the word "self" - but I got the gist.

Yeah, I'd have to say that I experienced a little "loss of consciousness" when I ate this cobbler.  I was lost in a world of blueberry-ish-iousness.   There was absolutely no suffering (regardless of what my hips said), and I certainly had no sense of self (or I may not have eaten as much as I did).

But, no matter, I was just as content and satisfied as if I had eaten the "fanciest pants" of desserts!  It was gooey, yet crispy, yet, chewy, and golden and purple, and....let's just get to it, shall we?

It's another one of those oh-so-simple-but-oh-so-good recipes.  I first had this cobbler when my aunt brought it over with peaches peeking out of the crust.  I'm tellin' ya, it's all about that crust!  Everyone has their favorite type of cobbler crust.  There's the crispy "pie crust" type, and there's the tender biscuit-crumb style that my mother just can't stand.  Must be the Libra in me, because I like it somewhere in the middle and this recipe is my new standard to which all crusts must now aspire to be!

Oh, yes, let's get to it...again.  (one last interjection...recipe to follow)

Here we are, the usual suspects in any good cobbler line-up


Mix your dry ingredients and then add the beaten egg for a  little "egg art".




Mix it all up and it transforms in to pre-crust goodness!


Sprinkle your crumble over the blueberries and prepare 
thyself for a wee bit of magic!





Welcome to Blueberry Nirvana.  You may now take your cobbler and transcend 
 about the cabin with no sense of suffering, desire, or self.


You wanna see that again?  Well, if you insist.




Blueberries are just so photogenic and sweetly accommodating, aren't they?  
Now, you must go forth and share the nirvana.



Blueberry Crumble

4 cups of blueberries 
1 T cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1 t lemon juice
1 t lemon zest
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 375F.
In a medium bowl, toss blueberries with cornstarch, sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest.  Pour into 8x8  ovenproof dish.  In another medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt.  Stir in beaten egg until dough forms crumbles.  Sprinkle over blueberries.  Pour melted butter evenly over topping.  (it'll seem like it isn't soaking in, but it will.  Have faith!    Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.

Note:  I used a little less sugar and a little less butter. 




2 comments:

  1. Hey Stacey! It's Beth. Looking forward to reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Beth! Thanks so much. Your store is so cute! I just love those capes! You've got some good stuff. Send me the link to your facebook page so I can "like" it for you.

    ReplyDelete